Re: virus: Protecting non-combatants - Respecting conventions.

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 17:48:21 MDT

On 11 Aug 2002 at 16:59, Hermit wrote:

> <snip that which is empty of material worth refuting>
>
> [Joe Dees] I suggest you hie down to Walter's and have him post-haste
> fill you a stiff prescription of Thorazine. Then you will - possibly
> - become more fully grounded in reality, and maybe even able to
> partially discern the difference between responsible reportage (as
> happened in the clarification) and sensational exploitationism (as
> happened with the initial quote), ewen though you might maintain your
> personal preference for the latter.
>
> [Hermit] Correction of fact. The first article was valid reporting. An
> interview with a troop, citing his own words. The second was not
> reporting, it wasn't even an article. It was a letter, purportedly
> from the interviewee, attempting to modify what he had already said.

In other words, it was a careful and detailed public clarification, by an
interviewee, of a misconstrual that resulted from a combination of inept,
incomplete and sensationalistic interviewing, apparently lacking
followups that might spoil the news nugget, and short, sloppy,
overgeneralized and unqualified casual remarks, made unreflectively,
and subsequently regretted by the utterer for their mischaracterization
of the situation.