Re: virus: Attention Joe Bigot

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun Aug 11 2002 - 12:03:06 MDT

On 11 Aug 2002 at 1:05, Hermit wrote:

> [Joe Dees] Yeah, you keep mightily falling to your favored fallback
> positionof last resort; your politically stacked BBS, that ALWAYS has
> your replies to other people, and NEVER has their replies to you,
> because they don't consider your shameful shenanigans worth indulging
> in, while you are fixatedly committed enough to your agenda to work to
> skew an entire fixed post to reflect it. I can clearly see why Bill
> Roh shot you the bulbous bird and resigned. If you wanted your own
> antiamerican fiefdon, why didn't you attempt to establish your own,
> instead of singlemindedly attempting to parasiticallly subvert an
> other wise fine and diversified list?
>
> [Hermit] Perhaps Mr Dees, because I actually think that the things the
> US claims to stand for, are essentially good and necessary things,
> even if the current administration (and too many deluded American
> bigots) seem not to care to implement them. One of the reasons that
> early American society worked and was self-correcting was because
> people dared to stand up and say what they thought was wrong. Today,
> too many people like yourself seem to not even notice when we don't,
> look on our hypocricy approvingly and as you so uncharmingly
> demonstrate, strongly resent attempts to say that it appears that we
> are causing harm and acting in contrast to our stated aims. No society
> lasts for ever, but in my opinion, America seems to want to go down in
> flames and take everyone else with her.

Actually, I have on several issues criticized US policy, particularly with
reference to the expensive, useless and damaging drug war,
inequitable distribution of oil revenues to the Nigerian Abachi regime
rather than the poor people living on the land from under which the
petroleum is pumped, the ecologically unsound decision not to sign on
to the Global Warming treaty, and our regrettable habit of sometimes
leaving a country in dire straits into which we have been invited (like
Afghanistan during the Soviet occupation, and Haiti) when our
objectives are met, rather than staying on and assisting in requested
nationbuilding functions until the country itself has no more need of our
help and can stand on its own; I just, unlike, apparently, you, have no
problem with the US defending the lives of its citizens by pursuing those
who have attacked her within her own borders and have sworn to
continue to do so in the name of their deity for as long as they shall live.
You, on the other hand, have to my knowledge never posted any
commentary whatsoever where you asserted that the US, on any issue
or in any venue, was doing anything right, or acting for any human
good; this being the case, it becomes apodictically obvious whose
perspective is skewed.

> [Hermit] I happen to think that if America manages to recover, and if
> it has not previously destroyed the rest of the world and herself in
> her misguided flailing, that she could still be a very powerful force
> for good on a planet that desperately needs it, instead of inspiring
> terror in her own citizens and in everyone else.

I do not feel terrorized by living here. Why do you feel that way? I
would fel much more terrorized in Europe right now, for I believe that
the chances of Americans being attacked by rabid Islamicists are much
greater there.

> [Hermit] Fortunately I don't think that this is impossible. Vast
> numbers of kids can see (and too many have experienced) how fucked up
> this society really is. My hope is that despite the McCarthyite
> ravings of those such as yourself, that we will see a second
> resurgence of good sense even if only in reaction to the current
> extremism. With some luck there may be time to recover before we
> become irrelevant.

Responding to your Bolshevik denunciations (see, bullus shittus can
flow both ways), I would have to contend that the US long has been and
remains, sometimes in spite of herself, the greatest single force for
democracy, human rights, progress and civilization in the modern
world. Is she perfect? No. Is any country or institution, even in
principle, perfectible in an evolving human context that constantly
presents novel challenges and opportunities, new needs and desires?
No. But ranting lunatics such as Scatflinger and yourself seem to be
psychopathically fixated on scapegoatingly portraying the US as 'the
focus of evil in the modern world', to use the phraseology of another
senile dingbat, simply because the world falls short, as an evolving
world necessarily always must, of the unattainable ideal of a static
absolute utopia.

> [Hermit] Please note that the CoV is transitioning to the BBS, having
> tripled our membership since it was announced. In the long term the
> list will transition there permanently. I suggest that you learn to
> use it. Finally, If anyone organization has inspired me to think that
> a correction is possible, and that there are people who can see beyond
> the end of their noses, it is the CoV. Its given me some hope for
> mankind. Hopefully, in the Virian tradition, I am returning something
> worthwhile to it.

I believe that it is in thenlong term interest of the CoV to maintain both
venues, each as a check and balance upon the untrammeled abuse of
the other by a few verbose ideological extremists such as you have
more than amply demonstrated yourself to be.