Re:virus: UN report on Jenin released - israel not guilty

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 14:40:20 MDT

On 4 Aug 2002 at 13:53, Hermit wrote:

> [Casey] Palestinians strike at the heart of Israel with terrorist
> attacks using suicide bombers and armed militants. Which prompts army
> incursions, arrests, and airstrikes by the Israeli government in
> response. Loop it and repeat.
>
> [Hermit] I observe that Israel has been illegally occupying and
> oppressing the Palestine for 30 years, and has victimized, pauperized
> and have ejected the Palestinians that once lived in territory seized
> by Israel. The economics make it transparently clear. 45% of
> Palestinians earn less than the UN poverty datum - $2 per day, or less
> than $ 730 per year - while average Israeli income at $17'000, is only
> $1'000 a year less than the average UK income.
>
> [Hermit] Drawing on parallels, blacks in South Africa had more rights
> under apartheid (and certainly were never attacked by South African
> military units)

What about the March 21, 1960 Sharpeville Massacre by South African
police forces wielding submachine and Sten guns, which killed fifty-six
black South African civilian citizens, incuding women and children (70%
shot in the back as they were fleeing), and wounded 162, and tipped a
previously peaceful and nonviolent ANC over into armed resistance?

> than a Palestinian in his home country, currently
> occupied by Israel. The rest of the world, including the US and UK,
> supported the ANC (as no doubt did some of the "social liberals" in
> our midst), despite the ANC's highly overrated use of terror. Yet this
> is not acceptable for the Palestinians. Instead, the oppressor, Israel
> receives support. Why should this be? While I loath all terrorism,
> something seems to be unbalanced here.

The deluge of suicide bombings perpetrated by the Palestinians has no
parallel in recent history, and certainly not in the ANC. The Israelis are
not a tiny minority in the region; Palestinian and Israeli populations are
roughly equivalent. This is in sharp contrast with South Africa, where
less than one-fifth of the population oppressively ruled the vast majority.
Still, the land must be fairly divided, with the Palestinians being ceded
the West Bank, Gaza and a travelling corridor between them, all of the
Jewish settlers in these areas, willing or not, should be relocated back
into Israel proper, and either Jerusalem should be split, with east
jerusalem being ceded to the Palestinians, or the city should be
internationalized, perhaps under UN administration. Of course, for this
to hold, the Palestinian bombings and shootings of Israeli citizens must
cease, which will require that the members of the various and sundry
Palestinian terrorist organizations be hunted down and apprehended or,
if they refuse to allow same and violently resist, killed.
The problem is, of course, that the terrorist organizations don't just want
Gaza, the West Bank, and East Jerusalem; they want it ALL, the whole
enchilada, and will continue to terrorize until they get either it all or are
killed.

> [Hermit] Casey left out these very important facts, necessary to
> comprehending what is happening. The state of Israel, supported by the
> US and UK, oppresses the Palestinian and the Palestinian left with no
> legal, political, military or social options, responds with terrorist
> attacks - to which the state of Israel responds with more oppression.
> Countries supporting Israel get drawn into the fray. Why is this not
> obvious? What is sauce for the goose is surely sauce for the Gander.

Yeah, maybe it's time for some ultraorthodox Jewish teens to don some
explosive belts and head for some Palestinian civilian crowds.

> [Hermit] It does not just depend on the Israelis. So long as people
> around the World can assert that Palestinians have no rights and are
> not people*, the disaster will continue.

I support the Palestinians' rights to a homeland of their own, just like I
support the Israelis' rights to the same thing. At this point, it looks to
me like a greater percentage of Israelis are in favor of a two-state
solution than the percentage of Palestinians who would be willing to
accept the same.
Both sides have to learn that both peoples are their for the long-haul
duration, that is, no one's gonna get pushed into the sea over there.
Neither side is gonna be able to expel or extinguish the other. These
Siamese twins have to , both of them, realize that when they slap each
others' faces, each slap hurts both of them.

> Hermit
>
> *Seems like it, as our self identified, nationalist "social liberals"
> assert that Palestinians cannot be massacred...

Oh, they were; in Sabra and Chatilla, just not in Jenin.