Re: Re:virus: Fw: TCList: The Stella\'s (fwd)

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 21:33:54 MDT

[Casey]
If only people could assume just a little responsibility for their
actions---but, nope, not in the US. Everyone else is to blame, except me,
me, me. I'm under the assumption this is the McDonald's case in which a
woman purchased her coffee at the drive-thru and spilt it on herself. If
that is true then what the hell was she thinking? That old broad, yep
that's what she is, has been on this planet how long? And she didn't think
to place the coffee in a cup holder before driving away? OK, maybe she
didn't have a cup holder; if that was the case then go out and buy one
before buying your caffeine fix.

[ben]
If I remember right, the decision that was handed over in that case was less
about awarding $ to the victim and more about punishing McDonalds for
routinely keeping their coffe hotter than was considered required or safe...
looking for reference...<hold music...>

http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

http://www.consumerrights.net/mcdonalds.html

Google has more, but they all say pretty much the same thing.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to trivialize the damage done to the
legal system and the taxpayer by frivoulous lawsuits. Do not read this
message while driving, performing delicate surgery or navigating wormholes.
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in facial lacerations or
public humiliation.

-ben