virus: Re: Spirituality of those furry little creatures

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 15:32:48 MST

[Raber Scott] If your child wanted to know whether or not her dog had a
soul, what would you say?
[hr]
[Hermit] I would say that a "soul" is not a real thing in the sense that we
can touch it, but that it is a word for an important idea that expresses
what we are, that we can understand and imagine things, and that we can care
about others and that we can be hurt or die.

[Hermit] I would then explain (and illustrate) that a dog can also
understand things (biscuit, come, sit), though not as well as we do, and
that they imagine things (running in their sleep), and that they care for us
(licks you when you are crying etc.) and that it can be hurt or die too.

[Hermit] I would then ask the child to decide - and I would listen very
carefully to the answer.

Regards

Hermit