Re: virus: Brown and Pink dreams

From: Violet Beck (seizansha@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 18:32:35 MST

[kirk said]
>For the gazelle to hate the hyena for it perceiving the gazelle as >prey
>is>unrealistic. Gazelle you be, and the vast majority of humanity >be that
>hideously cackling canine. Somebody check me on this; I'm pulling this
>figure deep from the recesses of my, well, memory let's say; 70% of
> >adult>humanity wanders through life never maturing beyond the age of >13.
[/quote]

Hmm...point seen. But the hole in your argument is that people are NOT
hyenas--they can be changed. in fact, for a time, i was extremely
small-minded myself. i thought i was most likely just a sick person and that
everything i did made jesus angry, etc. Then, of course, i met an older
friend who explained to me all about atheism. At first i thought she was the
devil, trying to tempt me, but i soon got over my childish delusions and
became the person i am today.

The point of this story is, however, that if she hadn't come around, i would
most likely still be in the opressive catholicism my parents raised me in
and wallowing in the homophobia of my church. All i needed, as well as most
children and many adults, was a firm, guiding hand and a few books. Now
maybe this is just the optimist in me speaking, but i like to believe people
can and WILL change if prompted, and I certainly don't want to just sit back
and let prejudice and misinformation happen.

--Violet Beck