RE: virus: Kirk: Standing my ground Ping Joe

From: joedees@bellsouth.net
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 22:42:26 MST

On 26 Jan 2002 at 21:09, L' Ermit wrote:

> [Joe Dees] If there were any kind of effect or transfer from 'one' to the
> 'other', 'they' would have to be considered as components of the single
> universe, by definition, for universe means one world, or all that is the
> case. For this reason, speculation concerning same is destined to be forever
> sterile and unproductive.
>
> [Hermit] I have to disagree with this. There are a number of postulated
> mechanisms whereby more than one universe is not only possible but
> predicated. For example, unless an independent universe is created during
> the collapse of a black hole, the law of conservation of information would
> be violated (Hawkin Radiation cannot transfer information). This leads to
> the anticipation that new universii are created on a continuous basis from
> within our Universe. At their creation they would evaporate from our
> Universe and develop an independent existence in the flux.

Matter and energy have to be conserved, not information. Information is
comprised of a configuration of matter/energy rather than matter/energy itself;
Matter/energy can be transmuted, either into the other, but not created or
destroyed; such conservation laws do not apply to information, for no logical or
physical exigency demands that the sum total of configurational complexity,
meaningful or otherwise, must be conserved. I can wipe out a detailed, complex
sand-mandala into a practically random scattering of grains with a few wipes of
my hand.

> [Hermit] These universii would have their own independent space-time and
> physical laws which need bear little resemblence to ours, precluding any
> "linkage" between them. Yet string theory seems to imply that (at least
> theoretically) it would be possible to "seed" a block-hole with wormholes
> which would be present in both universii and which would expand along with
> the newly formed universe to provide a gateway between them. If this is the
> case, it is also possible that it occurs naturally, and that should we
> develop the ability to locate wormholes that we might well develop an
> ability to explore neighbouring universii through these wormholes.
>
> [Hermit] If there is anything in this, and given the rapid acceptance of
> string theory, I rather think that there may be, this implies a way in which
> we (or our memes) could sidestep entropy and simply create new Universii on
> demand, linked by a network of gateways. So not everything need come to a
> sad cold end, although there may well come a time in the life of a Universe
> when it would no longer be possible for it to sustain black holes.
>
> [Hermit] So I really don't think that this speculation is either sterile or
> unproductive.
>
> Regards

The term "universii" is a contradiction in terms, if we hold to the definition of
universe as all-that-is. If such a nodal-with-axonal-connections thing were
discovered to exist, then it would, by definition, in its entirety be the universe,
and its very discovery would be impossible without a transfer of matter/energy,
whether informationally configured or otherwise.