RE: virus: FAQ: Hermitish mail mark-up and citation

From: L' Ermit (lhermit@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 22:32:38 MST

Steele Kirke asked: APA or MLA?

[Hermit] Neither. Both of those systems are rigorous, as befits scholarly
journals, but both are a [b]lot[/b] of work to implement. Refer
[url=http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citation.htm][/url]
accessed 2002-01-25 to see why. I would rather have [i]something[/i] than
nothing. So it is a simplified system which I began using in the early 80s,
and it evolved over time. It is based on a hybrid of SGML and the Basle
system, and which was adopted informally at ISO for internal communications
(They used SGML and LOC citations for formal and released documents - and
SGML is a royal pain in the ass). It works well, is very quick to create,
difficult to get wrong, machine readable, validatable, easily translates to
other standards, relatively search friendly and does not require a computer
to create (even non-programmable ASCII only terminals and typewriters work)
and can be tracked in print as well as on screen. I used a similar format
for handling IRC logging, back when we started using it for International
collaboration.

[Hermit] But see my comments to ben. I have had feedback that I have messed
up, in that the straight XML/HTML brace style confuses some embedding
systems and a strong recommendation that it be slightly altered to use a
different mark-up convention. I have tested some of the suggested changes in
the posts to ben, and they seem to be effective. I will post a version II of
the FAQ when it returns from review. Certainly within a few days.

Kind Regards

Hermit