Re: virus: Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:18:12 -0700

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 17:24:57 MST

I do you agree with everything you have said below - which is why we
have norms and ethics. By norms I mean behavior that is considered
standard across most societies even without law. Even in relative
anarchy, people don't go around just killing and stealing from one
another without reason because of the risk involved. Obviously there are
those, zealots for instance, that break the mold. Ethics is similar, but
more codified. We can all generally agree - in an abstract way, that
stealing and murdering is wrong. I would say that you can separate the
mobsters from the zealots. Mobsters know they are doing wrong - it is
the root of their profit. Drugs would be a good example. Mobsters sell
drugs - knowing it is poor behavior - because supply and demand has made
it lucrative. Legalize drugs and the mob looses interest. Zealots I
think do believe that they are doing good even when immense and obvious
harm comes of their actions.

I did really like one statement you make though: "My idea is that most
folk follow what they individually find are internally consistent
paths."

I agree that most people are not knowingly hypocrites - and I think that
it is an important observation. It implies that those we hate (in the
general sense) we hate for good reason - they really believe in what
they are doing. I would use John Ashcroft as an example of someone I
despise yet am sure he feels he is doing good.

Bill