Re: virus: BEN - Work from home part-time or full-time [spam]

From: ben (ben@machinegod.org)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 12:09:44 MST

[ben]
You're a pretty funny guy for an unsuccessful part-time spammer.
(ref:
http://forum.javien.com/XMLmessage.php?id=id::STstGn88-NQg7-PFh2-WEE5-AyFbak
psSD4s "I do this part time and so far it's made me absolutely NO damn
money.") Perhaps you should avoid pyramid schemes and try your hand at
employment?

[spammer]
It's not exactly "spam" if the person you're mailing it to is expecting it.

[ben]
I find the assertion that the intended recipient was expecting it difficult
to believe. It has all the trappings of spam, including no reference to this
supposed "willing" recipient, and no text indicative that it might be a
reply to any kind of request. In fact, the REMOVE instructions show an
attempt to comply with the minimum requirements of spam laws - a compliance
that wouldn't be required if it were only going to legitimate targets who
had requested it. It is a form letter, devoid of personalization or useful
content. It is promoting yet another "get rich quick" scheme, the likes of
which I see several times a day at least. In short, it is spam.

[spammer]
<various "introductory insults for dummies" material snipped>

[spammer]
And as a final note, is it not a bad example to try to compare a "kitchen"
with an "inbox"? Had you compared it with my "post box" outside my house,
then it would
surely have made more sense. Just how often do you prepare your dinner in
your "inbox" Ben?

[ben]
Oh, I'm terribly sorry if I offended you with my less-than-perfect metaphor.
Let me explain something, and I'll even try to stick to small words: I live
here. Between work, play and research I spend an average of 14 hours a day
on this here "Innernet" you've heard so much about, and have done so for
close to a decade. The spam problem gets worse and worse. I get literally
hundreds of peices per day, clogging my bandwidth and wasting my
mailserver's drivespace. Spam is a plague, and you are one of it's bearers.
Empirical evidence suggests to me that my life would be richer had the likes
of you never been born. So you'll understand if I don't extend to you the
politeness you think you deserve.

[ben]
I do not wish to make the rest of the list sit through another flame war. If
it appears that I am the only one who finds fault with spammers I will drop
the topic.

-ben