Re: virus: One for the Croc Hunter on Space.

From: Bill Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 09:22:07 MST

I don't know who the Croc Hunter is - at least here anyway - but I'll assume
you are asking me.

No - I do not deny that there are some good examples of a-priori knowledge. I
am not philosophically equipped to really argue against the notion - wish I
was. However, I do think that mathematics is the quite close to fitting the
description. I suppose it is a question of trusting the tools we make to
assist our reasoning. That "the Earth is a close approximation of a sphere" I
suppose would be a more camplex surity. But making statements about the
nature of the Universe IN DETAIL seems to me to be good guesswork at best.
Recently for instance we found that star formation happened a lot earlier in
the evolution of the Universe than expected - This has many implications, for
instance it affects the amount of heavier metals in the Universe, and
increases the time range at which stars like ours could have formed.

So, I can't argue with the notion of a-priori knowledge, but I can argue what
information we consider a priori.

Bill