Re: virus: Kirk: Standing my ground

From: BIll Roh (billroh@churchofvirus.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 22:57:38 MST

Nicholas Johns wrote:

> > Have you ever heard a pro god argument that forwards evidence?
> > probably not - but the first time they do, and the data is verified by the
> same
> > scientific method that we use to "prove" other things, then I will be will
> > concede that perhpas there is a god
>
> This is agnosticism, is it not?
> At least, you share the same viewpoint as me, and I do not consider myself
> an atheist. Rather, those that would not concede this point in the face of
> scientific evidence I see as atheist (and dogmatic). I agree that this may
> seem like a slightly harsh outlook. :-)

not at all. I see the concept itself, of a god or gods, to be a creation of man.
And thus far, all those creations are for some reason inconsistent with
observation of the world around us. To accept that there may be a god is to
accept that the notion of a god is attainable. I do not think it is. Is that
better description?

I agree that your description above is harsh, but not all atheists are alike -
and certainly some are as you describe.

Bill