RE: virus: What are we doing, in God's name?

From: Dylan Sunter (dylan.sunter@fisystem.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 07:13:38 MST

Bodie Wrote:

As for the goals of the CoV, I don't really know if we really have any
goals at the moment, certainly it doesn't seem that way. Maybe it would
be a good time to start thinking of goals and some sort of aim for the
CoV. What do other people think here?

<dylan>

Goals, achievements etc are personal to the individual, and this i think has
to extend to CoV as a whole: Some may not have any and wish to simply
debate, others to talk to like minded geeks about specific subjects, others
want to show off their "intellect", others to try to dogmatise, some to
simply try to understand memetics better. Thats the fun of memetics...no 2
people have the same memeset, there are always at least some quirky
differences.

As an infrequent poster, (mainly because I read whilst working) I find some
threads which clearly do not interest me, but my particular interest is
esoterism, theology, literature and history, with the occasional sojourn
into technogeek (which I do for a living so its fair enough). But
occasionally I interact more...and often i get a different opinion that I
hadnt considered. This is my personal goal, whether I like it or not, to
force myself to accept the plethora of memes out there. When you consider
the history of the world memetically, its quite disturbing really, but at
least you can have SOME faith in human beings.

Achievements, success, attaining goals are all subjective concepts. Nobody
EVER achieves all their goals. Like memes, they are always changing because
they are determined by the current memeset, regardless of whether that has
been programmed by someone else or not. I would argue therefore that the
personal search for the true "god" inside yourself is the only goal worth
pursuing...you will probably never reach it, but then again to enjoy life
and to have the gift of rationality and sentience is possibly the greatest
gift Humanity has ever attained..its how you use that knowledge which
determines whether you succeed or not IMO.