RE: virus: What are we doing, in God's name?

From: Bodie (mclarkc@essex.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 06:10:42 MST

I agree, that a lot of what the characters in the story achieve is a very
worthy goal, and some are even realistic. The main reason the story is
unrealistic is human nature, and the fact that religion and nationalism
are so deep in our conciousness that people will always want to preserve
them no matter what. Maybe over a long period of time we can defeat these
memes and create a society like that in the story, but I don't think it's
going to come as quickly as is described

As for the goals of the CoV, I don't really know if we really have any
goals at the moment, certainly it doesn't seem that way. Maybe it would
be a good time to start thinking of goals and some sort of aim for the
CoV. What do other people think here?