Re: virus: Origins of weddings?

From: J D E (virus@joeldavid.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 19:00:40 MST

There are so many legal ramifications of a legal "Marriage Certificate"...
and religion is not required to obtain such a document. Having been a
witness in front of a Justice of the Peace, it simply takes two people to
agree, and two others to confirm their agreement. Then it's "all for one"
... legal rights acquired by each individual in concerns to the other. A
religious union can be recognized as a legal union as well.

But that is the United States government that dictates these privileged
rights. And there is bias and limitations to these rights; "gay marriage"
seems to be under scrutiny, even though Vermont (or Virgina... one of those
"V" states) has passed civil unions for same-sex couples -- the same legal
recognition as married couples, with or without any supporting religious
backing.

In the rest of the world, I can't say if marriage is a recognized
institution with the absence of religion.

What it comes down to though is a statement of trust -- one trusting another
and vice versa -- mutual trust and committment declared publically and
recognized by familiars and strangers alike. Who's to say that religious or
legal definitions that dictate such a union is right for some, but not for
others.