virus: Maths terms from the east!

From: Orlando Moltisanti (xipirho@runbox.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 16:13:19 MST

Hey Yash, here's a reason why your maths tongue thing might be a good idea,
this quote refers to the introduction of east asian maths terms into an IAL
- maybe if a language was more amths orientated then we really would learn
better and quicker. I know it has nothing to do with "embedding" maths
concepts, but I thought I say about it anyway:

"Moreover, mathematical words might be introduced from East Asian languages.
Irene Miura and Yukari Okamoto have established that number values in
Chinese, Japanese and Korean are better understood, because the counting
system relates directly to the meaning of numbers: hence, eleven in Japanese
is "ten-one", twenty is "two-ten", thirty-one is "three-ten-one". The
language is also better at explaining fractions: e.g. in Japanese one third
is "san bun no iti" meaning "of three parts one". It is well known that East
Asian students consistently surpass their British and American counterparts
at maths. The difference is so great that it cannot solely be the result of
superior discipline, motivation or teaching; it must also reflect the nature
of their languages. The vocabulary of the international language will no
doubt be influenced by such findings."

That was from: http://www.alexander.iofm.net/lang27.htm#q

Anyone have more info about these findings?

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo. Roly/Orly/Vinyacálë.