RE: virus: Dawkins in the Observer (forwarded from the Memetics List)

From: Blunderov (squooker@mweb.co.za)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 02:02:52 MST

If I may be so bold as to direct a question mainly in the Hermit's
direction"?

What does the CoV think of Carl Gustav Jung?

If I understand (which is lamentably probably not the case) him at all he
postulates that the exterior manifestations of religious behaviors are a
sort of projection of the inner structure of the psyche which is composed of
archetypes.These archetypes are given their shape, so to speak, and
reinforced by symbolic and mythical cultural elements.

(It seems to me to be a bit like a man who, looking into a telescope and
seeing only the reflection of his own eyeball, feels justified in claiming
that we are being obseved from outer space.)

Perhaps this could be part of the reason for the "nostalgia for religion"?
That the symbolism of religions tends to resonate with our psychic
structures and thus has a sort of emotional pull on people.

tentatively yours

Blunderov.