RE: virus: Book Recommendation

From: Richard Ridge (richard_ridge@tao-group.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 02:45:08 MST

> I must heartily recommend, for anyone who is interested in an
> eloquent, thorough and profound exposition of the theology and history
> of Islam and the problems associated with it from an inside perspective,
> the book WHY I AM NOT A MUSLIM by Ibn Warraq

Seconded.

> BTW, FYI Salman Rushdie is not the only author to have a death fatwa
> issued against him for his literary efforts; Ibn Warraq has received one
> also (as a result of the recommended book) and the Indian freethinking
> writer Tamila Nasrin has received one also.

See also:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_493000/493436.stm

Fatwa for 'gay Jesus' writer

An Islamic group based in the UK has issued a death fatwa against a
playwright whose London stage production depicts Jesus Christ as a
homosexual.

Terrence McNally was sentenced to death by the Shari'ah Court of the UK as
his play, Corpus Christi, opened in London on Thursday night.

The play depicts Jesus Christ and his followers as a group of homosexuals.
He is seduced by Judas Iscariot, but is later crucified as "king of the
queers". It caused an outcry among Christians when it was staged during the
Edinburgh Fringe festival during the summer.

Muslims regard Jesus as a messenger of God, and revere his mother, the
Virgin Mary. The play was declared blasphemous by the Al-Muhajiroun - The
Defenders of The Messenger Jesus.

Supporters of the group, which has around 800 members in the UK, handed out
copies of the fatwah outside the play's first night at the small Pleasance
Theatre, Holloway, north London.

The religious edict was signed by Sheik Omar Bakri Muhammad, judge of the
Shari'ah Court of the UK.

He criticised Christian leaders for not taking stronger action against the
production.

He said: "The fatwa is to express the Islamic point of view that those who
are insulting to Allah and the messengers of God, they must understand it is
a crime.

"The Church of England has neglected the honour of the Virgin Mary and
Jesus. It is blasphemy for them not to take action."

A fatwa is a religious decree issued by a recognised Islamic scholar, or
other authorised leaders.

The order should only be carried out by an Islamic state, which rules out
action against New York-based Mr McNally in either the UK or US.

"We would warn individual Muslims not to try to carry it out," Sheik Omar
Bakri Muhammad said.

However, it is reported police have warned Mr McNally about the fatwa.

If he travels to an Islamic state, then he would risk arrest and execution.

The sheik added: "We do not believe in political assassination, but
obviously he would face capital punishment.

"He will be arrested and there will be capital punishment."

He said that under Islamic law, Mr McNally could only escape the fatwa by
becoming a Muslim. If he simply repented he would still be killed - but his
family would be cared for by the Islamic state.

The play also caused controversy in New York, with Mr McNally and his cast
receiving bomb and death threats.

Judas Iscariot is played by Stephen Billington, best known for his role as
villain Greg Kelly in the ITV soap Coronation Street. During the Edinburgh
Festival, he told BBC News Online Corpus Christi was "a very important play
with a message about tolerance".